CAIE O level Economics 2281 Tips and Tricks
Understanding the keywords
- It’s very important to understand the keywords in the question paper, when it says;
IDENTIFY , NAME , LIST;
- Give the correct term.
- Sentences are not required
Example:-1, Identify the factors that determine the population growth in a country.[3marks]
- Birth rate (1) , Death rate (1) , Net migration rate (1).
Example:-2, List out any three causes of a change in demand for a good. [3marks]
- Income of the people(1) , Advertising (1) ,Taste and preference (1).
- Give the required answer.
- Sentences are not required
Example:- State any three functions of a commercial bank. [3marks]
- Accepting deposits (1) , Making payments (1) , Lending money (1).
- Give the exact meaning
- Nothing else is required
Example 1; Define inflation. [3marks] Possible answer
- A persistent (1) , rise in the (1) , general price level (1). Example 2:-, Define price elasticity of demand. [3marks] Possible answer
- A change in quantity demanded (1) in response (1) to change in price (1).
- Use complete sentences and say how the subject works.
- Give important features and try to analyze the cause.
Example :-, Explain the concept of opportunity cost by using an example. [5marks]
- The meaning (2) , why and how (1) , An example (2).
- Opportunity cost is a next best alternative forgone in order to obtain the best choice.Waleed wants to see a football match starting at 7pm. And this time is the time for his extra class. He choose to cancel the extra class and saw the football match. Here , the opportunity cost of watching the football match is the missed extra class. Because he forgoes the extra class in order to see the match.
- Use complete sentences and give as much details as possible about the characteristics of the subject.
Example:– Describe the likely population structure to be found in a developing country. [5marks]
The meaning developing country(2) , A brief explanation of three characteristics of developing country such as high birth rate , high death rate , low life expectancy, more younger age group, low working age group, low ageing population etc.;(3).
- Explain fully both sides of the arguments or questions and then state a
Example:-Discuss whether economic growth is always advantages?.[8 marks]
- Meaning of economic growth.
- An important government aim.
- Explain any three advantages.
- Make a conclusion with the explanation of any two or three disadvantages of economic growth.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR THE EXAMINATION
- Diagrams may be used in any questions but are not necessarily required
unless the question asks for them.
- If diagrams are used, you need to be aware that they should correctly label all the aspects.
- Curves, axes and direction of any movement of curves.
- Unless the question asks for a diagram without an explanation, candidates should provide a narrative explanation of the diagram.
- They should not just draw a diagram that is unexplained.
- You will be required a calculator to calculate the RPI.
TIPS FOR EACH PAPER
- Make sure you have practiced at least 10 years of past papers as questions do repeat
- Manage your time effectively
- Take calculators with you to solve a numerical question
- If you’re unsure about the answer, don’t spend too much time on one question,
simply just make a guess.
- You should NOT leave any topic and cover the whole contents of the syllabus
- Read all the questions carefully and plan your answer accordingly
- Make sure you don’t write IRRELEVANT stuff.
- Be sure that you have answered all the parts of the question.
- Time management is very important manage your time effectively
- Practice at least 10 years of past papers from latest to oldest.
- Do not forget to go through the ‘Example Candidate Response Booklet’.